ENGLISH and LITERATURE
ART, DANCE, MUSIC and THEATER
English, literature, art, dance, music and theater throughout history, available
to parents, educators, students, teachers and those “Young at Heart”.
|+ ART - DANCE - MUSIC - THEATER:|
History - Language Arts
- Visual Arts
Performing Arts: Dance - Music - Theatre
|+ ENGLISH & LITERATURE:|
|Book Sources - Dictionaries & Information - English Language|
ENGLISH and LITERATURE
* Bartleby.com: Great Books Online
Combines the best of both contemporary and classic reference works.
* Children's Library
From Internet Archive: Wayback Machine,
free books, texts, download and streaming.
* Education Publications & Online Books
- TumbleBooks - eBooks for eKids!
DICTIONARIES and INFORMATION: Dictionary
* American Heritage Dictionary - Search
* Dictionary & Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online
- Visual Dictionary Online
All-in-one dictionary search tool for hundreds of dictionaries.
* English Literature Dictionary and Glossary for Students
* Forvo: The Pronunciation Guide
All the words in the world pronounced by native speakers.
* Free Dictionary: Online Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus
English, medical, legal, financial, and computer dictionaries, thesaurus,
acronyms, encyclopedia, literature reference library and search engine.
Encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, biographies, dictionary and thesaurus.
* LEXILOGOS Online Dictionaries
Languages and countries.
* Linguist List: Ask A Linguist
Place where anyone interested in language or linguistics can ask a question
and, if approved, get responses from a panel of professional linguists.
- Linguistic Society of America | Advancing the Scientific Study of Language
* List of Online Dictionaries
Free online dictionary and thesaurus, with combined index
of external definitions, audio, and etymology.
* Multilingual Dictionaries
Includes thesaurus, glossaries, abbreviations and synonyms.
* OneLook® Dictionaries
Meta search of over 1040 plus online indexed dictionaries.
Find the definition or spelling of more than twelve million words.
* Oxford Dictionaries: Oxford English Dictionary: Definition of Genealogy
English dictionaries and language references.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Oxford Language Dictionaries Online
- Oxford Reference
* Phrase Finder
Meanings and origins of phrases, sayings, clichés and quotes.
* RhymeZone - Rhyming Dictionary and Thesaurus
Write poetry, song lyrics, greeting cards, witticisms and more.
* Visuwords™ Online Graphical Dictionary
* WebFinance, Inc.
Reliable, high-quality and easy-to-use reference material.
Online lexical reference system, with English nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs
organized into synonym sets, each representing one underlying lexical concept.
Different relations link the synonym sets.
Ongoing project devoted to discovering all the words and everything about them.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE: English Studies
* Advanced English Lessons [englishpage.com]
Learn English using in-depth English tutorials
featuring dozens of interactive exercises.
* Cambridge English: Young Learners | Cambridge English
Cambridge English exams are accepted by over 20,000 universities,
employers and governments around the world.
* Corpus Linguistics
Samples (corpora) or "real world" text corpus.
- IMS Open Corpus Workbench: Important Links
- Sketch Engine: SketchEngine
- Word Frequency Lists & Dictionary
Corpus of contemporary American English.
45-425 million words each: free online access.
* English as a Second or Foreign Language
- English & Media Centre
Providing resources and courses for the teaching of English and media.
English as a second language fun site. Learn grammar,
practice English verbs, idioms and spelling conversation.
- Free Resources for Teachers | EAL Nexus
British Council EAL Nexus has the central aim of helping young migrant learners
access learning and positively engage in schools, in the community and in society,
thus promoting inter-cultural dialogue and social cohesion.
- Interesting Things for ESL/EFL Students
Fun English study.
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language
* English Online
Materials for teaching and learning.
* History of English: History of the English Language
- Brief History of English
- English Club: History of the English Language
- History of English Language
- English 310/410: History of the English Language
Research Guides at Case Western Reserve University: Kelvin Smith Library
- Origin & History of the English Language
* List of Countries by English-Speaking Population
* List of Dialects of the English Language
- IDEA International Dialects of English Archive
Free dialect and accent recordings for the performing arts.
- North American Accents and Dialects
- Accents and Dialects of the United States of America
- DARE | Dictionary of American Regional English: Search
- In the News | Dictionary of American Regional English
Updating The Dictionary of American Regional English,
which took researchers at the University of Wisconsin,
forty-nine years to complete. The five volumes document
dialects in all regions of the United States of America.
- Index to Volumes I-V | Dictionary of American Regional English
* List of Territorial Entities Where English is an Official Language
* Lists of English Words
* Official EFSET® English Test
World’s first open-access standardized English test suite.
* Old English: Old English edition of Wikipedia®
- Englisc listserv
- Medieval & Renaissance
- Old English
- Old English / Anglo-Saxon
- Old English Links
- Ye Olde English Sayings
* Speech Accent Archive
Compare and analyze the accents of different English speakers.
* Web English Teacher
K-12 English Language Arts teaching resources: lesson plans, videos,
e-texts, technology integration, criticism, and classroom activities.
GRAMMAR and SPELLING: Grammar & Language Courses
* English Grammar: English Grammar Blog
Stay posted when grammar rules change.
- Grammar | Net class | EducationGuardian.co.uk
- Internet Grammar of English
Blue Book of grammar and punctuation.
- Helpful Links
Grammar, words, writing, translation and business resources.
* Guide to Grammar & Writing and Grammar & Style
Sentence level, paragraph level, essay level, forms of communication,
interactive quizzes and other online resources for writing.
English grammar, linguistics, composition, writing, essay,
punctuation, usage and writing style resources.
- Modern English Grammar
* Road To Grammar
ESL, TESL, EFL, TEFL, TOEFL, grammar and vocabulary practice.
* Spelling it Right - Learn to Spell Confidently
Free online spell checker.
Conjugate verbs in 100+ languages and grammar.
Free tips: references, grammar, editing, spelling, design, marketing and typography.
LITERATURE: Portal:Literature - Topic Outline of Literature
Literary Resources on the Net
Index of literary resources available on the web, focusing on those
of interest to scholars. Searchable and organized by period and topic.
* Amazon.com: Kinship in Literature History Books
* Children's Literature Comprehensive Database
* Children's Literature Links
* Children's Literature Web Guide and Children's Literature Center
Internet resources related to books for children and young adults.
University of Glasgow departmental lecturers and tutors
Online classic literature, poems, and quotes; essays and summaries.
* [OTA] The Oxford Text Archive
Catalogues, preserves and distributes high-quality digital resources
for research and teaching. Texts in more than 25 different languages.
* Pulitzer Prizes
List of people in journalism, letters, and music whose accomplishments
enable researchers to trace the historical evolution of their respective
fields and the development of American society.
* VoS - Voice of the Shuttle: Literatures other than English
Literacy Partners Inc. | Facts about Literacy Worldwide
* Best Literacy & Language Arts Resources
Instilling in young learners the importance of reading and writing.
* International Reading Association
Improving reading instruction and promoting literacy around the world.
- Reading Online
Information for the worldwide literacy-education community.
Highest quality practices and resources in reading and language arts instruction.
WRITING: Writing System
* A+ Research & Writing
High school and college students guide
to researching and writing a paper.
* Citing Sources
* Cyndi's List - Humor & Prose
* Elements of Style
* Emory University Writing Center Resources
* International Writing Centers Association
- Resources for Writers
- Writing Centers Online
- Purdue University's Online Writing Lab
- University of Richmond Writer's Web
- Writing Resources - UCLA Graduate Writing Center
* Lists of Writers
* Online Technical Writing: Online Textbook--Contents
Used by students in online technical-communication courses worldwide.
* Online Writing Resources
Comprehensive set of online writing resources for use by students and instructors.
From writing guides to help with citing sources, you will find that accessing
these online resources is a quick and easy way to improve your writing.
* Research & Documentation Online - 5th Edition
Information on this site is also available in a print book.
* Suite101.de, Suite101.fr, and Suite101.net.
Online magazine and writers' network.
- Researching Family Histories in the Middle East
* UNC Writing Center: Handouts - The Writing Center
* Write Letters
Free field compiling "fill in the blanks" letter wizard,
which creates conformity with standard writing rules.
- letterexamplehelp - Download Expertly Written Letter Samples
* Writer's Digest
One-stop shop for information, resources and writing community.
* Writer's Reference
* Writing Systems & Manuscripts
- Online Creative Writing Classes
ART, DANCE, MUSIC and THEATER:
* Art & Architecture Thesaurus® On Line
* Art Cyclopedia: The Fine Art Search Engine
* Art Museums Around The World
* Art on the Web - Boston College
* Art Project: Powered by Google™
Explore museums from around the world, discover and view hundreds
of artworks at incredible zoom levels, and even create and share
your own collection of masterpieces.
* Art - Web Resources
Research Guides at Cornish College of the Arts.
* ArtLex Art Dictionary
Terms used in discussing art / visual culture, along with thousands
of supporting images, pronunciation notes, great quotations & cross-references.
* Art(s) & Architecture
Dictionaries, history, quizzes and resources.
National Arts and Education Information Network.
* British Library
- Art Websites - Architecture to Exhibition Venues
- Art Websites - Exhibitions to Publishers
* Digital Library for the Decorative Arts & Material Culture: Resources
* Folk Art Society of America: Links
* Mother of All Art & Art History Links Pages
* Performing Arts Encyclopedia
Explore LOC music, theater and dance.
* Resources in Art and Architecture on the Web
* Theatre & Dance Studies
* Visual & Performing Arts
HISTORY: Art History
* "art history" - Google™ Books
* Art History Research Centre
Tool for art historical research on the internet.
* Art History Resources on the Web
* arthistoricum.net (arthistoricum.net: Virtual Library for Art): Sitemap
Provides access to art history websites, such as subject gateways,
image databases, search engines, or mailing lists.
- arthistoricum.net: Partner
Computers and the history of art group.
* Dictionary of Art Historians
Historic scholars, museum professionals and academic historians of art.
* Getty Union List of Artist Names® Online
* Pulitzer Prizes
List of people in journalism, letters, and music whose accomplishments
enable researchers to trace the historical evolution of their respective fields
and the development of American society.
* Internet Resources | History of Art | Information Services
LANGUAGE ARTS: Language Arts
* Federal Registry for Educational Excellence: Language Arts
Digital teaching and learning resources created and maintained
by the federal government and public and private organizations.
* National Council of Teachers of English (USA): Language Arts
- College Section
- Elementary Section
- Middle Level Section
- Secondary Section
* Poetry: Portal:Poetry - Topic Outline of Poetry
- All Poetry
World's largest poetry site; discussion and poem contests.
- Online Poetry - PoetryTodayOnline.com™
Thousands of poems and poets, icluding poetry search engine.
- Classic Poets and Classical Poems
- Poetry and Literature (Library of Congress)
- Poetry Foundation
Find poems and poets. Discover poetry.
- Poetry Society
- Poets & Writers, Inc.
- Generations of Poetry: The Ezine for Genealogists
- Poems Only - Love Poems, Inspirational Poems & Quotes
- LovePoetry: Both Classic Love Poems & Submitted Love Poems
- Poetry Archive
- Michelle - Cool
- Winona Hannah (Quibell) Baker Poetry
- Ultimate Poetry Resource Guide
VISUAL ARTS: Portal:Visual Arts - Topic Outline of the Visual Arts
* Design: Category:Design - Topic Outline of Design
- Design - Web Resources
* Film: Portal:Film - Topic Outline of Film
- FedFlix : Free Movies : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
Directory for film, television, video, and digital media production.
* Grove Art Online (Oxford Art Online)
All aspects of the visual arts, ancient to modern.
Visual arts lesson site dedicated to teaching the visual arts.
* Internet ArtResources™
- Art, artists, galleries and artisans.
Collection of free art lessons and art education information.
* Painting: Topic Outline of Painting
- Artist's Toolkit
Explore the tools that artists use.
- Cartooning Lessons
Free online cartooning lessons and cartooning fun.
- Peanuts© Collector Club
Everything related to the world of Peanuts (Cartoons).
Toon is a cartoon or cartoon character.
- Children's Book Authors Writing Courses
- Paint by Numbers
World's largest poster and print store.
- WetCanvas! Cyber Living for Artists
Each channel provides articles, lessons, discussions, product reviews,
with "medium-specific" channels, such as oil painting, watercolors,
sculpture and subject-specific channels, such as landscapes,
portraiture and wildlife/animal art.
- WikiArt.org - Encyclopedia of Painting
* Plastic Arts: Plastic Arts
- Arts & Crafts: Craft - Topic Outline of Crafts
- Arts & Crafts | Michaels Stores and Factory Direct Craft Supply
- Craftideas.info - Free Crafts, Ideas, Projects, Patterns & Tutorials and Make-Stuff
Crafts and hobbies for people who just like to make stuff.
- Books - Publications: Genealogical Materials
- How Do I Begin To Document & File Family History? An Introduction
- House - Building - Event - Location Histories
- Sculpture: Topic Outline of Sculpture
- Textile Art: Portal:Textile Arts
PERFORMING ARTS: Performing Arts Timeline - Topic Outline of Performing Arts
* Cyndi's List - Occupations - Entertainment: Fun Stuff & Games
* Digital Librarian: Performing Arts
- Artslynx International Dance Music Visual Arts Theatre Resources (archived)
* Internet Resources for Music, Theater & Dance
Performing Arts Reading Room, Music Division, Library of Congress.
- Performing Arts Encyclopedia
Music, theater and dance at the Library of Congress.
* Juilliard School on the Web: Dance - Drama - Music
* Performing Arts Websites
British Library help for researchers.
* SIBMAS: Performing Arts Resources - Research Sites (archived)
International Association of Libraries, Museums, Archives
and Documentation Centres of the Performing Arts.
- International Directory of Performing Arts Collections and Institutions (archived)
Over 7000 international institutions with material relating to the performing arts
(theatre, opera, music, ballet, film, circus, radio, television, cabaret, pantomime).
Not only basic information about the institution is provided, but also information
about collections found within the institutions. Access to the Directory is by name
of institution (local name and English), by name of collections within the institution
and by location (English name of the city).
- Partner Organisations | SIBMAS
DANCE: Portal:Dance - Topic Outline of Dance
* Cyber Dance
Ballet and modern
dance on the net.
* Dance Education Web
Disseminates resources for dance learning in
diverse educational settings via worldwide links.
* Dance - Web Resources
* Hamster Dance
Humor: Tons of hamsters dancing.
* Voice Of Dance: Where Dance Lives
* World DanceSport Federation
HISTORY: History of Dance
* Society of Dance History Scholars: Resources
MUSIC: Portal:Music - Music & Games - Music & Lyrics - Topic Outline of Music
* Art & Music Links | LA Phil
Music and fine arts organizations worldwide,
as well as websites of related interest.
* Association Européenne des Conservatoires
European cultural and educational network
for professional music training.
* Bibliography: Online Resources for Music Scholars
Links to archival collections, online scores and sound recordings;
article indexes, discographies and bibliographies; scholarly societies;
musical reference works; and a miscellany of useful websites.
* Ethnomusicology - World Music and Links - Society for Ethnomusicology
Ethnomusicology, folk music and world music.
- British Forum for Ethnomusicology
- International Council for Traditional Music
- Society for Ethnomusicology
* Google™ Play: Freeplay Music
Bring all your songs with you and introduce them to millions more.
Kick back and enjoy custom radio without rules. Then go ahead
and listen anywhere, on any device - music is totally under your control.
* Grooveshark: Last.fm
Listen to free music online, Internet radio and MP3 streaming;
largest music catalogue online.
* International Music Centers
- American Musicological Society
- Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology
- WWW Sites for Musicologists
* iTunes: iTunes
- Apple - iTunes
Everything you need to be entertained.
* List of Online Music Databases
* Music Resources on the World Wide Web - Yale
* Music - Subject & Course Guides - UCSB: Websites
* Mutopia Project
Free sheet music for everyone.
* Oxford Music Online
Formerly Grove Music Online; a new gateway for online music resources.
* Public Domain Music
* Resources of Scholarly Societies - Music
* Royal Holloway, University of London | Department of Music
- Golden Pages: Musicology Links
Links for musicians on the WWW.
* Spotify: Spotify | Facebook®
Legal and free access to a huge library of music for everyone.
* VoS - Voice of the Shuttle: Music
* World Music at RootsWorld
Magazine of the world's roots and folk music.
HISTORY: Musical Timeline
* Folk Music of England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and America
* ipl2: Music History 102
Guide to western composers and their music.
* Musicology: Music History
* Preservation of Audio Materials
- Links | International Association of Sound & Audiovisual Archives [Site Map]
- Sound Recordings from All Over the World
* Children - Teens - Young Adults: Fun with Music
Music learning websites for children and families:
- Children's Music and Children's Song
- Children's Music Web
- Mama Lisa's World
Children's songs and nursery rhymes from around the world.
- Introduction to Reading Music
- Organ (Music): Pipe Organ - Portal:Pipe Organ
- Biographical Dictionary of Organists, Composers for Organ & Organ Builders
- Charles-Marie Widor: Toccata
- Young Person's Guide to the Pipe Organ - Google™ Search
- Piano on the Net by PianoNanny.com
* Classical: Portal:Classical Music
- Classical Music Archives
- Classical Net™: Presto Classical
- History of Classical Music Traditions: History of Classical Music - Eras
- List of Artists | Classical Music Artists
- Felix Mendelssohn: Elijah (oratorio)
- George Frideric Handel: GFHandel.org - Messiah - Other Links
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Beethoven Digitally
- How the Ode to Joy Was Written
"Brothers!, above the starry canopy, A loving father must dwell . . ."
Classical music community directory.
- NAXOS - The World's Leading Classical Music Group
Classical Music - Streaming Classical Music.
* DIAMM | Digital Image Archive of Medieval Music
Website includes the most complete listing of medieval
and early modern manuscripts of western polyphony.
* Music Theory: Music Theory
- Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net
- Society for Music Theory
- teoría - Music Theory Web
* Musical Instruments: Musical Instrument: Musical Instruments
- American Musical Instrument Society: Linked Resources
- List of Musical Instruments
- Orchestras & Ensembles all over the World
* Musicians: Musician
- Composer: Lists of Composers
- Classical Composer
- Composer Birthdays
- Conducting: Category:Conductors by Country
- Classical Music Conductors
- Lists of Musicians
- Musical Ensemble: Classical Music Ensembles
- Choir Directory Global
- Choirs Worldwide
- ChoralNet: Internet Center for Choral Music™
- List of Choir Schools
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir: The Official Site
- Singer: Singing
- Songweavers™ - The Global Community of Music Makers
THEATRE: Portal:Theatre - Topic Outline of Theatre
* Theatre Channel.com
* Theatre Historical Society of America (archived)
- TheatreLinks (archived)
* Theatre Library Association
- Performing Arts Libraries, Archives & Museums
* Theater Web Resources: Theatre Sites on the Web
* WWW Virtual Library for Theatre & Drama
HISTORY: History of Theatre: TheatreHistory.com
* Cinema Treasures: Movie Theaters
- Movie Theaters Around The World
* Jack Wolcott's Theatre History on the Web
* Music Hall and Theatre Site dedicated to Arthur Lloyd 1839 - 1904: External Links
* Oscar G. Brockett Center for Theatre History and Criticism
- Pearson - History of the Theatre, 10/E - Oscar G. Brockett & Franklin J. Hildy
* Theatre Historical Society of America: Additional Research Resources
- Traveling Carnival
* Circus: Circus History Links
- Circopedia: Links
International online circus archive.
- Circus in America: 1793 - 1940
- Circus Skills
- List of Circuses & Circus Owners
Circus, Entertainer, Fairground & Magic Family History Research (archived)
Census detail, showmen, travellers, stallholders, equestrians entertainers,
musicians, actors, van dwellers, shows that appeared on the fairground
and showmen attending fairs.
- Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre in Devon: UK and International Links (archived)
- List of World's Fairs
- National Fairground Archive: Related Links
- List of Festivals
* Opera: List of Opera Topics - Origins of Opera - Portal:Opera
- Aria Database
Collection of information about opera and operatic arias.
- History of Opera
- List of Opera Houses
- Metropolitan Opera: Metropolitan Opera - Opera Archive
- William Shakespeare & the Internet
- List of Holiday Parades
World sideshow pictures and history.
English and Literature - Art, Dance, Music and Theater
Copyright © 1997-2016 By: V. Chris & Thomas M. Tinney, Sr.
All rights reserved. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Return To: Family Genealogy and History Internet Education Directory - Wiki